03 November 2004

5,234 wds.

Well, day three off and running. I hastily finished the first chapter, and thrust straight into the second, and concentrated on picking up the pace of the story, getting into some action. That went well, although I'm still worried about how I'm going to carry this story-line for 175 pages (I'm on page 19 now. Yes!). I'm not completely worried because I knew this is what I'd be dealing with. I think I'm just used to writing at a different pace, which is why this is a great challenge for me and I'll learn lots. I already see an improvement in my pacing from the novel class I had last winter. That was really hard to expand into a marathon pace. The point is it's a learned skill like a lot of writing is.
Here are some other notes I've made to myself about writing thus far:

1. Movement --- I’m beginning to learn that this is imperative. Storytelling is about movement. Sure it’s about making a point, characters, setting, but I think for first drafts especially, where your characters will be flat, undeveloped, you should strive for movement. Discover new ways to move your story forward and keep the action going.

2. Action --- Similar to movement but I think what’s important is characters should act. When things are going flat get back to the characters and how they would act. Also show the characters through action.

3. Behind the scene --- What’s really going on behind a scene? A wedding is about two happy people getting married, but often there is far more than what we assume on the surface. For example a feud between families, problems with the caterers, a jealous brother. These add richness, truth and details to your story.

4. Senses & Setting --- Don’t ignore the six senses. Describe the setting and give it a function, i.e., and action. An ocean is an ocean, and it’s beautiful, but it effects the climate of the world around it.

No comments: