23 March 2008

Script Frenzy

Script Frenzy starts in 8 days.

Spawned from NaNoWriMo, Script Frenzy is a challenge to write a screenplay in a month.

They’re talking my language. I’m not 100% yet because I want to make sure I have an idea that’s reasonably fleshed out (which is kind of counter to the basic principle of Script Frenzy and NaNoWriMo, although, it’s not strictly frowned upon).

I’ve written three features in my life and the script pages themselves were all written in about 7-10 days. Usually, this was precipitated by spending months, or even years writing loglines, beatsheets, revamping everything, and not making any progress on actual script pages.

So eventually, I threw in the towel and started writing. It’s a horrid way to outline (see this post on Word Player), but sometimes, especially for budding screenwriters, it’s the best option.

Thus, I’m working over a few story ideas to make sure I can carry the idea through 100 pages, or at least through 10 major beats. I figure that way, I’ll at least have 30-40 pages of quality if I scrap the rest later—something to build a revamped script off of.

Be sure to check out the Script Frenzy Writer’s Resource page for some free .pdf worksheets, apparently written for High School students. I especially like the “Hollywood Formula” Worksheet. Also, you can find some articles written by pro screenwriters here, in their Cameos section..

Okay then. It’s about a person who…

No comments: