04 December 2004

A perfectly bad idea

I did some holiday shopping at the bookstore today. Picked up a book for my friend entitled, "101 Things To Do Before You Die". Of course I read it when I got home. This is my kind of book. It's ambitious, and humorous, and oddly the first item is, "write a best-seller."
So I got to thinking. I'm known for being over ambitious, scheming and dreaming of outrageous things. Sometimes I follow through. I brought a racing motorcycle, which is still sitting in the garage. I never ran it, but I bought it. That's half the battle right. Most people have never bought a racing motorcycle. (Fewer have raced them.)
My life since I've graduated college (June 2004) has been a hollow disappointment. Sure I've had some good times, some good women, but my life's really isn't shaping up to what I'd like it to be. What I need is some focus, some goals, a good deadline, reminders, consequences, over ambitious projects, that kind of thing.
I'm think of taking up "101 Things To Do Before You Die" as a personal vendetta against the mediocracy of my life. In addition, here are some things I'd add to my personal list:
1. Become a motorcycle holigan
2. Buy a sailboat and/or sail to Vietnam (see no. 4)
3. Spend Christmas at the beach
4. Go to Vietnam
5. Write a novel
6. Learn a foreign language
7. Go on a coast to coast roadtrip across the US
8. Sit in a hot spring in Japan, clothing optional

No comments: